The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is deeply saddened by the passing of Bob Wilson, former member of the Foundation’s Board of Trustees, founding member of the Raleigh Tavern Society, Churchill Bell recipient and longtime friend. Bob passed away on Jan. 24, 2022. He was predeceased by his wife Marion, who passed away in 2020.
Bob and Marion’s leadership and service began more than 40 years ago, helping to advance many of the foundation’s initiatives. In 1989, then-Colonial Williamsburg President Charles Longsworth engaged Bob in the foundation’s vision to dramatically improve the teaching of America’s founding era.
In 2019 the Teacher Institute was renamed the Bob and Marion Wilson Teacher Institute of Colonial Williamsburg to honor their contributions to this important initiative.
Your donation today helps provide educators with the tools they need to teach history effectively and inspire the next generation of leaders.
How does your donation help?
Your gift to The Bob and Marion Wilson Teacher Institute of Colonial Williamsburg will directly support its mission to deliver the highest quality, immersive, interdisciplinary professional development training for our nation’s teachers. What do teachers say about their Institute experience?
- 98% confirm that it increased their content knowledge in American history and government
- 99% say it increased their proficiency in classroom instruction
- 99% believe it made them more effective teachers
We rely on the generosity of friends like you to provide teachers:
- Primary source-centered, standards-based historical content
- Inclusive approach to analyzing people and events of the past from multiple perspectives
- Innovative, engaging teaching strategies to bring history to life in the classroom
- Immersive experiences throughout the Historic Area and with character interpreters
- Classroom-ready instructional resources, including lesson plans, primary sources, and media through the Colonial Williamsburg Education Resource Library
Your support makes the Institute possible. Thank you!